Home Page Forums Open Forum I am having some trouble getting an IT job.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  WeAreTheBorg 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

redi2die
    Participant

Howdy failed normal redux, If someone could help me it would be lovely. So I have been a computer geek since I was about 14, ever since then I have been doing all sorts of shit and I am very good with computers ok. My resume can be found here
    ——> https://ibb.co/m2r1ty <——
    I had an interview for help desk. They would ask me problems like “everyone else can send emails but I cannot” “my printer isn’t working”. I would say “make sure the drivers are installed, make sure your devices have IP addresses. but they wanted me to say simple shit like “is the printer turned on” “is the internet plugged in”. they said I was offering high-level solutions and that’s not what they want so they fucking passed on me. I have been feeling out so many applications and no call back yet. I dont not want anything else besides a IT JOB!! I want to start programming once i get my job and become stable. What should i do?!?! Computers are my passion and love.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  redi2die. Reason: typos

redi2die
    Participant

PS this is not a shortened link

Jonas
    Participant

You’re focusing on too much about what you want and not enough about what the needs of the organization are for the position you’re applying for. Based on the responses they gave to your answers, I took one thing away from it. They wanted to see how well you can convey technical information to a common user who has zero technical knowledge. It’s good that you understand all of it at a how level, but how does it help you when you’re on the phone with someone who doesn’t even know what an IP address is?

Eli has often tried to stress this and I firmly believe in it as well: Nobody cares how skilled or knowledgeable you are as a technician. You can be the number 1 hacker, sysadmin, developer, network engineer in the world but if you can’t convey your findings in a manner that both makes sense and demonstrates real business impact/value, no one is going to listen to you. Soft skills matter, as does how you’re presenting yourself during an interview.

Hunter
    Participant

Don’t take it personal brother. They have 30 resumes to look at and the fact that you got an interview is great! That being said your resume is kind of informal as saying that you are a geek. It’s cool that you are you just don’t have to state that in your objective. In mine I just have “To gain experience as an IT professional” without a bio. And this is just me but putting “Experience in Web Development, Systems Administration, and much more” doesn’t work for me unless you can provide real work experience behind it. I used to talk in my interviews about my server room at my home which often had possitive results. Find something that you’re working on and try to squeze it into the question. For example “my printer isn’t working”, you can do short answers like is it turned on, a lot of these thing should be something that you experience in your life such as fixing a printer for your grandma by realizing the cable had come unplugged, even string that on to the high level stuff in a train of thought kind of way… I realized that the printer was on, I checked the network cable and that was plugged in… I looked at the printer display and it showed the IP… I looked at device manager… I realized Windows Update borked my drivers… went to manufatures website and downloaded drivers… problem fixed. Good luck my dude!

Hunter
    Participant

I also didn’t see it but grammar mistakes in your resume… things like “there car” instead of “their car”, have someone read it and spell check. I would also take out the “seasoned” part because there isn’t much on your resume that would suggest that you are. Not saying you haven’t done anything but strictly from what the resume says you don’t have that experience to lean on yet. Rather what might be better is a humble approach that you’re excited to learn. Resume looks a little cartoony IMHO. Kinda hides that you have your A+, at least thats what I was able to pull, and the whole “skills” section I would find another way to put it. None of this is attacking you or meant to offend. 🙂

justDavid
    Participant

If no one will hire you volunteer. Your resume is thin on technical work experience or education. Take some cheap or free classes online and find a nonprofit. Resumes are passed through AI before HR ever sees them, IE never use a blanket resume. Finally, find a good professional resume template.

Hunter
    Participant

Kinda scares me with this much return information there has not been a response or question on your part… Are you posting this just to go through the motions?

redi2die
    Participant

Oh yeah I really appreciate the responses and I have taken them into consideration. I am actually just going to work for myself. Do you think it’s worth it for me to get good at programming? I see the internet and I think it’s all outdated and clunky. It needs improvement. I am 21..

Jonas
    Participant

If you’re going to work for yourself be ready to learn and learn a lot. It’s not easy being an entrepreneur and it’s difficult to build up the level of discipline required to avoid common mistakes. Educate yourself, start with a book called Soft Skills for Software for Developers. It’s more about structuring your personal and professional life than it is about writing code but it contains valuable advice you will need.

Don’t get caught up the concept of programming. Code/writing code is just a tool for solving problems. Nothing more, nothing less. Learn about business and common problems that businesses face. Get familiar with what’s valuable to them and how you might be able to save or make them money. Often times your ability to succeed will depend on how well you can market what you have to offer.

Hunter
    Participant

redi2die
    Participant

I think you guys over complicate it all. What’s so hard about marketing your solutions to people in need?

Jonas
    Participant

You’re 21 and you think marketing solutions is easy? Most start-ups and early entrepreneurial efforts result in failure. Over 75% of them. Why?

If you can’t answer ‘why’, then you clearly have a lot to learn.

I recommend audiobooks, they’re easier to digest and get through without having to focus your eyes on a page for extended periods of time.

redi2die
    Participant

Sorry guys for being a downer. The hardest part is selling your own services as an entrepreneur. Social networking is not my most admirable attribute.

redi2die
    Participant

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  redi2die.

redi2die
    Participant

I am networking myself i have been working at a new company and i have increased productivity with the help of some cloud based software. I have worked for myself since high school and i am not a failure.

Mal.exe
    Participant

Nobody said you were a failure 🙂

WeAreTheBorg
    Participant

OP:

A few things:

Observations:

– Your resume looks terrible; it has info on it that is unrelated to IT.
    – Your handle is indicative of the wrong mindset; change how you think and you’ll change your life
    – Stop swearing in a professional conversation.

Action items:

->Rewrite your resume (remove walmart, like now, get up now and delete it)
    —Do NOT put references on your resume

->Go to Indeed and apply to jobs that are short-term contracts; they are more willing to take risks on people for several reasons:
    —They don’t have to keep you
    —They are on a tight deadline
    —Many times the recruiters just throw people at the jobs and see who makes it through the screening process

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  WeAreTheBorg.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.